Translate

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Everyone needs a purpose




I asked are there any Nursing homes on this island.  The answer was what for?
We have no need! Family takes care of the Yia Yia and Papous. If there is no family the village people care for them, bringing them plates of food, checking on them , taking them where they need to go.  But they elders are very much involved and respected.

if you no longer work, you help out by baby sitting, tending the goats, cooking for the family,  taking care of the churches, volunteering at the Panagia's whatever  needs to be done. There is a real sense of belonging, community and more importantly feeling needed.

Yesterday I met a 90 year old Greek orthodox retired  priest, he stopped by  on his motorcycle, after working in the olive groves and vineyards all day to have a glass of wine and tell stories. He was full of tales and more importantly full of life and laughter. I then met an older lady on the road i asked if I could take her picture, she kindly agreed, afterwards I asked if I could buy her a coffee, she said no my goats wait for me. Seems here on Ikaria the elderly are not pushed aside where they wait to die, they are celebrated and embraced and valued.

On Ikaria the elders are included in every aspect of life. They don't wait to be visited  on Sunday's at the Nursing home, they continue to live long and productive lives.





1 comment: